The Very Beginning
Long before the American Revolution, this area was inhabited by Cherokee Indians. The Cherokee chose to support Great Britain during the American Revolution, and two months of warfare between the Patriot militia and the Cherokees, with help from Loyalists, in the summer of 1776 resulted in Indian defeat. The Cherokees lost up and ceded their territory to South Carolina after crops were devastated and villages set on fire. This area was known as Pendleton District and Pendleton County by the year 1789. There is still a shared link even though that region is now Anderson, Oconee, and Pickens counties.
In order to house the courthouse, the Town of Pendleton was founded in 1790. It bears the name of Judge Henry Pendleton, a South Carolina-born veteran of the Revolution from Virginia. The town was one of the most significant in the upper portion of South Carolina until the district was divided in 1826. Scots-Irish soldiers were the first settlers, but by 1800 aristocratic LowCountry planters and politicians had found the Pendleton Area and had begun to construct vacation residences. It led to a mixture of rich, well-educated residents and uneducated farmers, and they worked together to lay the foundation for the progressive area that exists today.